It is February folks! That means this is the month of the SUPER BOWL!
I don’t know if you watch footballl, but I do! I have been watching the Super Bowl for many years now, and let me tell you, my favorite part of this lovely day is not the game, but the friends and the food. Everyone loves going to a great super bowl party where there is tons of appetizers, drinks, desserts, and usually nachos.
Bringing appetizers to a party is a wonderful idea, because they are scrumptious finger food that a person can easily grab and walk around while talking to people. This particular appetizer should be carried with a napkin, as it tends to be messy. Messy but incredibly flavorful and delicious. My crostini with feta and sautéed shallots, has bold flavors, and a great balance of sweet and savory.
This is one of those appetizers where it looks super classy and fancy, and everyone will be impressed, however it takes hardly any time at all to make.
Don’t get me wrong- we all go nuts for a good plate of nachos, pull apart cheesy bread, hamburger sliders, or pizza. All those are yummy, but I also enjoy a healthy, colorful, unexpected appetizer as well.
As far as ingredients go:
- Shallots are used instead of onion, because they are underrated in their subtle flavor, as well as a little bit sweeter and less intense than regular onion.
- I enjoy cherry tomatoes with this, but you can use whatever tomatoes you have on hand.
- Sourdough is a great bread to use with this as it gives it depth, but any baguette will do.
- Feta is one of my favorite cheeses, and it adds saltiness to this beautiful appetizer. However, goat cheese could also be used.
- Balsamic reduction can be purchased at your local grocery store. Reduction is the process of thickening and intensifying the flavor of a liquid mixture, in this case it’s balsamic vinegar.
A classy appetizer for any party or occasion. Creamy feta, sweet shallots, juicy tomatoes on top of toasted baguette, drizzled with a balsamic reduction.
- 1 baguette or loaf of French bread
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- whipped feta
- 2 shallots
- balsamic reduction (see notes)
- 1 4 oz container of feta cheese
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder ( or 1 clove garlic)
- a few tablespoons of water
- Place all ingredients in a blender, food processor, or magic bullet.
- Blend well together until desired spreading consistency.
- Make whipped feta first.
- Cut cherry tomatoes into halves.
- Dice the two shallots and then sauté with olive oil, until they are slightly translucent and have softened.
- Turn on your oven’s “Broil” setting to low.
- Slice up a baguette or a loaf of French bread, place on a baking sheet and toast them under the broiler for 3-5 minutes, or until bread is golden brown.
- Assemble: take a piece of toasted baguette, spread the whipped feta on top, as well as some sautéed shallots. Top with the sliced tomatoes, and drizzle the balsamic reduction on top.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
You can buy a balsamic reduction at your local grocery store.
I have not tested it, but I am sure goat cheese would also be good with this recipe.
You can use any kind of tomato, but cherry or grape tomatoes are my favorite.
If you need the whipped feta to be a little more creamy, feel free to add a knob of cream cheese.
If you do not have shallots, feel free to substitute red onion or yellow onion.
- Prep Time: 7 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: super bowl recipes, super bowl appetizers, appetizer, crostini, crostini appetizer, feta cheese, appetizer recipes