A savory, creamy, and just downright delicious dinner that everyone will love. Chicken pot pie with flaky and buttery biscuits on top.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon raw turbinado sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons salted butter, frozen
- 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 4 tablespoons salted butter
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ red onion, finely diced
- 2 large cloves of garlic, finely diced
- 4 medium sized carrots, peeled and cubed into small pieces
- 5 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup + 1.5 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 3.5 cups rotisserie chicken, shredded
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Black pepper to taste
To make the filling:
- Melt the salted butter in a large soup. Add the dried thyme and red onion; sauté for 5 minutes on medium heat.
- Add the carrots and celery and stir; sauté for 6-7 minutes with a lid on.
- Add garlic and sauté for 1 min.
- Take the lid off, add the flour and stir.
- Slowly add the unsweetened almond milk and the chicken broth alternating between them, continuously stirring the whole time. Take your time adding the liquid and stirring.
- Add the rotisserie chicken and frozen peas. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour the filling into a 9 x 13 inch Pyrex glass baking dish, or a round Dutch oven is fine too.
To make the biscuits:
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Combine flour, baking powder, turbinado sugar, and salt together in a medium sized bowl.
- Grate the frozen butter with a cheese grater (try not to touch it too much, you don’t want the warmth of your hands to start melting the butter) and work it into the dry ingredients with a fork or pastry cutter.
- Add the unsweetened almond milk and stir gently with a fork to bring it all together. Don’t stir it too much, just until it is combined.
- Turn the dough out onto a clean, floured counter. Pat down the dough into a round circle 1-2 inch thick layer. Cut 6-10 biscuits from the dough using a biscuit cutter.
- Place the biscuits on top of the filling.
- Bake for 17-20 minutes, until it is bubbling, and biscuits are baked through.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American