This is a delicious and deletable breakfast sandwich that I recently starting making, and it has quickly become a favorite lunch or breakfast meal in my household. It has lots of protein (bacon, eggs), flavor, and as far as breakfast Sammys go, healthy! No gluten, no dairy, and lower fat (because of the turkey bacon)
I currently cannot have pork or beef, due to a health issue I had awhile back, so I eat turkey bacon and turkey sausage. I found out how to to make my own hash-browns when I was on the Whole 30 and couldn’t find any frozen premade hash-browns that didn’t have any sugar in them. Turns out, they are easy to make and only take about 10-15 minutes! But if you don’t have the time for that (I totally understand), store bought hash-brown patties would work well too. I know that Trader Joe’s has some very yummy ones.
The green avocado sauce gives the sandwich flavor, depth, and beautiful bright color. This sauce is tangy, garlicky, and compliments the other ingredients really well.
There is no dairy or cheese in this sammy, and let me tell you, I do not miss it. Of course you can always add some cheese if you want, but I don’t think it needs it.
As far as the bread goes, I used a gluten free English muffin from Glutino, and the secret is to toast it really well so that it is crispy and has a nice golden color on it. If you don’t need to go gluten free, sub a regular English muffin and I definitely will not judge you.
A sausage patty would be tasty too, if you don’t like bacon (does that kind of person exist?), or would like to swap it out. OR if you are feeling crazy, you could have bacon and sausage.
This sandwich is delicious and definitely worth a try. If you do make it, be sure to leave a review/comment on how you liked it!Print
Layered with turkey bacon, homemade hash-browns, and eggs, and smothered in avocado green sauce, this delicious breakfast sandwich is perfect for any meal (not just breakfast!)
- 2 gluten free English muffins
- 2 eggs
- hash-browns (made from scratch recipe, see below)
- 2 slices turkey bacon
- a tablespoon of green avocado sauce (recipe see below)
Green Avocado Sauce:
- 1/2 ripe avocado
- big handful of spinach
- small handful of flat leaf parsley (see notes)
- 1 large clove garlic
- juice of 1 lime (or lemon)
- 1/2 jalapeño, pitted with the seeds removed
- pinch of salt
- 1/8 cup water, or more if needed for smooth consistency
- 1 or two medium sized russet or golden potatoes, peeled and rinsed
- 1–2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt & pepper (to taste)
- garlic powder (to taste)
- Place all the ingredients into a blender and blend until a smooth consistency
- Take your peeled and rinsed potatoes and use a cheese grater to grate the potatoes into smaller pieces.
- Rinse the grated potatoes in cold water in a sieve or strainer. Put into a paper towel and squeeze, making sure most of the water is out before placing into an oiled skillet.
- Over medium heat, season the shredded potato with salt, pepper, and garlic powder and put a lid on.
- Cook over medium heat for about 5-8 minutes, stirring often so it doesn’t burn, until potato shreds are soft and somewhat crispy.
- Set aside with lid on, until sandwich assembly.
- Place turkey bacon in an oiled skillet and cook until crispy. Set aside.
- Place eggs into an oiled skillet and scramble eggs until done. Season with salt and pepper.
- Take a biscuit cutter and cut the eggs into a circular shape so that it fits the size/shape of the English muffin.
- Toast your English muffin. Take the green sauce and spread it onto the bottom English muffin.
- Place the scrambled egg onto the muffin
- Then the hash browns
- Then the turkey bacon
- Top with more sauce if needed.
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: breakfast sandwich, gluten free breakfast, gluten free breakfast sandwich, dairy free, dairy free breakfast, dairy free breakfast sandwich
Recipe inspired by: https://www.lizmoody.com/healthy-breakfast-sandwich/