This is a recipe I am super stoked to be sharing with you guys. These crepes have been in my family for a long time. I am releasing this super secret family recipe with you because it needs to be SHARED! It is subtly sweet, tasty, and perfect. It is extremely simple and hard to mess up.
The crepe recipe is literally five ingredients that most people have in their fridge and pantry. Milk, butter, eggs, flour, and sugar.
It cannot get easier than that. I used a food processor to make mine this time, but normally a blender works just fine. My blender is broken however, so that is why I didn’t use one. If you don’t have a blender, you definitely can just whisk it by hand. The original recipe calls for regular milk, but since I can’t have cow’s milk, I substituted almond milk. You can use any kind of milk you want and it will work.
The toppings for this recipe are customizable and versatile. You do not have to use strawberries, lemon juice, and powdered sugar if you don’t want to. This is just my personal favorite and something that I grew up loving to eat. The combo of the fruit, the sweet and the tangy lemon juice just makes my mouth smile. Some suggestions for toppings could be: banana and Nutella, syrup and butter, berries and cream cheese, the list is endless.
Growing up, crepes were one of those special breakfasts that my mom made for a special occasion; a birthday, anniversary, Valentine’s Day, graduation, etc. Pancakes and waffles were special too, but crepes were the creme de la creme. I still feel this way about them. But I like to make them any day of the week, not just a “special day.”
Making the batter is easy and quick, making the crepes one at a time, takes some time, but it is 100% worth it. Once they are all made, if you don’t end up eating them all, you can freeze them. Sometimes I will make half of the batter, then refrigerate the other half of the batter, and make the rest the next day.
I am elated to be sharing this family recipe with you, and I hope you enjoy making and eating them! Thanks as always for being a supporter, a reader, a passerby, an eater.Print
Simple and easy breakfast crepes topped with fresh strawberries, powdered sugar, and lemon juice.
- 5 eggs
- 1 2/3 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 7 tablespoons salted butter, melted and cooled
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- Strawberries, sliced
- Lemons, juiced
- Powdered sugar
- Break the eggs into a blender and blend lightly.
- Slowly blend in the almond milk.
- Add the melted and cooled butter and blend.
- Add the sugar and flour and blend.
- Take a 1/4 cup of the crepe batter and pour into the center of a very lightly greased (butter or oil is fine) skillet on medium high heat (5 on my stovetop).
- Carefully twirl the pan into a circle, moving the batter around until it hits all the edges, making a thin layer (it will make a circle shape).
- When the top of the crepe starts to have little bubbles and the edges turn golden brown it is time to flip it.
- It will probably take around 1-2 minutes per side until it is done.
- It takes awhile to make each crepe since you are doing it one at a time, so I like to put the crepes on an oven safe plate in a warm oven while I make them all.
It takes a little practice to get the hang of it.
- Serve with strawberries, lemon juice, and powdered sugar, or your topping of choice! (see notes)
- Put the sliced strawberries, lemon juice, and powdered sugar into a bowl and gently mix. Let it marinate for about 5-10 minutes. The berries will soften and create a delicious syrup.
I used a 9 inch non stick pan for my crepes but you can make them bigger if you want.
As fas as toppings go, the sky is the limit. People like butter and syrup, bananas and Nutella, strawberries and cream cheese, etc.
If you do not have almond milk, any kind of milk will work.
- Prep Time: 5 min
- Cook Time: 25 min
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: French