Homemade Healthy Grain Free Granola
It is 2022 and everyone is looking to start eating healthy. You are finishing off the last of those gingerbread cookies, licking that last candy cane, and resolving to eat “better” this year.
My wish for everyone is that this year is not the year of fad diets, purges, and “cutting out sugar”, but that living a healthy lifestyle, means eating more fruits, veggies, and good protein. This doesn’t mean you have to cut things out completely, or cut back on carbs and sugars. I think it means making wiser decisions in every day life. Eating healthy can be fun and flavorful, it doesn’t have to be boring or be a chore.
For example, choosing products made with honey, maple syrup, or even cane sugar, instead of high fructose corn syrup. Perhaps choosing muffins made with almond flour instead of all purpose flour. Maybe making the decision to grab a bag of sweet potato chips with made coconut oil, instead of Ruffles made with canola oil. Little choices each day, can over time make a big difference. Your body will thank you for it later, I promise you.
For me, when I eat cleaner, I have more energy, my skin clears up, and I am not as bloated and gassy etc.
All that to say, most granolas that you buy from the store, are loaded with sugar, and sometimes processed oils. I don’t like having sugary granola, because it spikes my blood sugar. Especially if I am already adding it to a smoothie (which already has sugar in it, natural sugars yes, but none the less).
This homemade granola is grain free, very low in sugar, has health fats, and is high in protein. I love it because it keeps your blood sugar stable, satiates you until your next meal or snack, and is tasty!
Here are some ideas of different ways to eat this Homemade Healthy Grain Free Granola:
Eat it as a snack by itself
Pour some milk over it and eat it with some fresh berries on top
Sprinkled on top of a smoothie
On top of yogurt drizzled with a little honey
On top of ice cream with some caramel
Homemade Healthy Grain Free Granola
- Yield: 4–5 cups 1x
A terrific snack full of protein, low sugar, and the perfect crunch. This homemade granola goes perfectly with a fresh smoothie or eat it as a snack on its own!
- 2 cups salted cashews
- 2 cups almonds (whole or slivered)
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons flax seed
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted and cooled to room temperature
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper, or grease with oil/butter.
- Mix cashews, almonds, sesame seeds, coconut, cinnamon, and salt in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together peanut butter, melted coconut oil, applesauce, vanilla, and flax seed.
- Pour the wet mixture over the dry nut mixture and carefully fold ingredients together until combined.
- Pour the granola evenly onto the parchment lined baking sheets.
- Bake for 10 minutes, then take the baking sheet out, rotate it, and put it back in for another 15 minutes, or until granola is toasty and crunchy.
For a sweeter granola, feel free to get sweetened applesauce, or add a tablespoon or two of maple syrup to the wet mixture.
You can substitute chia seeds if you do not have flax seeds.
You can substitute almond butter for peanut butter.
Having the coconut oil cooled to room temp after melting, will help prevent it from seizing up when getting mixed with the cold applesauce.
Feel free to use whatever nuts you like in this granola.
- Prep Time: 7 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: grain free granola, homemade granola, healthy granola, low sugar granola, high protein granola, granola
Recipe inspired by: https://www.foodtofeelgood.com/cinnamon-crunch-grain-free-granola/