A terrific snack full of protein, low sugar, and the perfect crunch. This homemade granola goes perfectly with a fresh smoothie or eat it as a snack on its own!
- 2 cups salted cashews
- 2 cups almonds (whole or slivered)
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons flax seed
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted and cooled to room temperature
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper, or grease with oil/butter.
- Mix cashews, almonds, sesame seeds, coconut, cinnamon, and salt in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together peanut butter, melted coconut oil, applesauce, vanilla, and flax seed.
- Pour the wet mixture over the dry nut mixture and carefully fold ingredients together until combined.
- Pour the granola evenly onto the parchment lined baking sheets.
- Bake for 10 minutes, then take the baking sheet out, rotate it, and put it back in for another 15 minutes, or until granola is toasty and crunchy.
For a sweeter granola, feel free to get sweetened applesauce, or add a tablespoon or two of maple syrup to the wet mixture.
You can substitute chia seeds if you do not have flax seeds.
You can substitute almond butter for peanut butter.
Having the coconut oil cooled to room temp after melting, will help prevent it from seizing up when getting mixed with the cold applesauce.
Feel free to use whatever nuts you like in this granola.
- Prep Time: 7 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: grain free granola, homemade granola, healthy granola, low sugar granola, high protein granola, granola