The Best Blueberry Crumb Cake
This easy and simple blueberry crumb cake is so moist, fresh, and the streusel on top makes it completely crumble in your mouth.
The fresh blueberries bring a perfect zesty finish. This cake is perfect for a breakfast treat (who said you can’t have cake for breakfast?), a dessert, or have them as a mid day snack with a cappuccino or some creamy milk.
It is similar to coffee cake because of the cinnamon crumb mixture on top, but the flavor is different, since the blueberries are added. The lemon zest, gives it the acid it needs to balance out the sweetness. The vanilla and almond extract gives it a unique flavor the partners well with the taste of blueberries. Of course the almond extract is a more unusual ingredient and is perfectly fine if you need or want to omit it. Vanilla extract is more of a pantry staple than almond extract.
I also used coconut sugar instead of a white sugar, because it is a unrefined alternative and is healthier for you. You can’t really taste the coconut, so it doesn’t affect the overall taste or flavor.
Anyway, try these out and leave a comment and let me know what you think!Print
The Best Blueberry Crumb Cake
- Total Time: 41 minute
- Yield: 1 cake 1x
This crumb cake is so moist, fresh, and the blueberries provide the perfect zesty finish.
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2/3 cup coconut sugar
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon grated fresh lemon zest
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1 teaspoon pure almond extract (optional)
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened cut into 6 pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- a pinch of salt
- Using mixer with paddle attachment, combine flour, coconut sugar, salt, and cinnamon on low until well combined and no big clumps remain.
- Add butter; beat on low until mixture is like wet sand; about 2 minutes. Transfer to different bowl; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease a glass square pan with butter.
- Whisk flour and baking powder together in bowl; set aside.
- Using mixer with paddle attachment or hand mixer, beat together butter, salt, sugar, and lemon zest on medium until light & fluffy, scraping bowl as necessary.
- Beat in vanilla and almond extract (optional) until mixed.
- Add eggs slowly 1 at a time; beat until well mixed.
- With mixer on low, gradually add flour mixture; beat until flour is almost fully incorporated. Batter will be very thick.
- Gently fold in fresh blueberries.
- Transfer batter to greased pan. Spread batter evenly to pan edges. Sprinkle streusel evenly over batter.
- Bake until bars are golden brown and toothpick comes out clean, 45-55 minutes.
- Transfer to wire rack and cool.
- Eat! Great served with vanilla ice-cream.
If you do not have coconut sugar, you can substitute for regular white sugar. I use coconut because it is a healthier unrefined option.
Almond extract is totally optional. I like using it because it gives it that extra unique boost of flavor, but it tastes really great without it too, if you prefer to not use it.
You can use frozen blueberries if you do not have fresh, but I would suggest not defrosting them, as it will yield a lot of extra liquid, and will thin out the batter too much.
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: 45-55 min
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: blueberry crumb cake, blueberry crumble cake, blueberry cake, blueberry dessert