Hi folks! Happy (almost) Fathers Day! I am currently on day 17 of the Whole 30. I have been trying to come up with creative and delicious dinner ideas that are full of protein, delicious flavor, and healthy. I had never made Chicken Normandy before, but I knew that I wanted to make it, and I wanted it to be healthy and Whole 30 approved.
The regular chicken normandy calls for creme fraise (basically sour cream), regular flour, brandy, and some other ingredients that are not gluten or dairy free. So I substituted coconut cream, chicken stock, almond flour, and it tasted great! All the amazing flavors, but better for you.
It may sound weird having apples with chicken, but chicken and waffles sounded weird at first, and now most people love that combination! You have the sweet flavor of the apples, the creamy coconut milk, and the savory chicken, with a hint of tangy mustard to finish it off.
Ideas of what to serve this with: steamed veggies, salad, rolls, rice, quinoa (obviously not Whole 30), it pairs well with many different things. It also can be eaten by itself!
Don’t judge a book by it’s cover, and try it out! It is a perfect meal to serve for Fathers Day, which is coming up quick! He will love it because its meat, and the family will love it, because its just downright yummy.Print
A dairy, gluten, and sugar free chicken dinner! Inspired by the French dish, this Chicken Normandy has a rich coconut cream flavor, tender sweet apples, and soft savory onions.
- 4 chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons coconut or olive oil
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1 1/2 cups onion, chopped
- 5 celery sticks, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely diced
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons almond flour
- 1 medium sized gala apple, thinly sliced and peeled
- 3/4 cup full fat coconut cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper. Heat the oil in a cast iron skillet. Place the chicken breasts into the skillet and brown both sides. You might need to do this in batches. You are not fully cooking the chicken, just browning the sides.
- Remove the chicken from the skillet and add the onions and celery. Sauté for about 5 minutes or until the onions have softened slightly. Add a splash more olive oil and the garlic. Fry for 1 minute.
- Pour in half of the amount of chicken stock and stir.
- Put the almond flour into a separate small bowl, and add 3 tablepspoons of the chicken stock and stir. (You are making a roux). Gradually add this to the skillet and stir until flour bits have dissolved. Pour in the rest of the chicken stock. Bring back to a low boil and return the chicken back to the pan, cover with a lid.
- Keep the lid on (if you don’t have one you can cover it with aluminum foil with a small slit in the middle) and bake for 35-40 minutes or until the chicken is fully cooked. A meat thermometer inserted should read 165 degrees F. Cook time will depend on the size of your chicken breasts.
- Take the cast iron skillet out of the oven, and carefully stir in the mustard and coconut cream.
- When dish is ready, fry the sliced Gala apples in the ghee, in a small nonstick pan and fry over medium-high heat for 4-5 minutes or until apples have softened slightly.
- Serve with the fried apples on top and enjoy!
I used only 2 chicken breasts but that’s because they were huge. About 4-6 small/medium chicken breasts would work too. Chicken thighs would be fine as well
You can use any kind of apples you like, preferably on the sweeter side (probably not green apples, cuz they are sour)
You can use yellow mustard, dijon, or a grainy spicy mustard
Any kind of onion will be fine, I used red because that’s what I had on hand
If you don’t need to make it Whole 30 compliant, you could substitute sour cream or heavy cream for the coconut cream and butter for the ghee.
This dish freezes well without the coconut cream and apples
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: 40 min
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop/Oven
- Cuisine: French
Keywords: chicken normandy, chicken and apples, healthy chicken dinner, chicken dinner, whole 30 dinner, gluten and dairy free dinner ideas