Whole 30 Sweet Potato Chili
This is a recipe I created many years ago, when I decided to do the Whole 30. I wanted a delicious, flavorful, and hearty meal, and I modified a regular recipe to be Whole 30 approved. I have added a couple things since then, like beans, and it is still one of my favorite chili’s to this day. If you do want to make it Whole 30 approved, just omit the beans, and make sure your broths have no sugar added etc. It has few ingredients and takes only about 10-15 minutes to prepare. Even though it’s so simple, it is still extremely flavorful.
- If you want it to be more like a soup, then a chunky stew, you can add 1 or more cups of broth because it does come out pretty thick.
- You can use beef broth, vegetable broth, or chicken broth in this.
- If you are not on the Whole 30, feel free to add black beans and pinto beans for even more protein.
- Keep the lid on while simmering because the condensation/steam will help cook the potatoes faster and it will keep the liquid inside, keeping the chili from getting too thick.
- If you like it more spicy, add some chili powder or chopped jalepeno.
- The smaller you cut the sweet potatoes, the faster it will all cook.
Whenever I make a batch of it for myself, I have leftovers for days, which is awesome! You can add shredded cheese, sour cream, or avocado on top if you so wish to add even more punch. You can also pair it with a toasted piece of sourdough bread or your favorite gluten-free bread. Everyone loves a good warm bowl of chili in any season, and this is a great version. Whip it up for dinner this week, you’ll love it I promise.Print
Sweet Potato Chili
- Yield: 5 servings 1x
Everyone loves a good warm bowl of chili, and this is a great version of it. Healthy, hearty, and customizable to your food needs!
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound ground beef (or ground turkey)
- 1 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 bell peppers, chopped
- 1 pound sweet potatoes, peeled and diced into small cubes
- 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes, not drained
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Heat extra virgin olive oil in a deep soup pot and then add ground beef to it. Cook ground beef thoroughly in a large pot, until no longer pink.
- Add onion and bell pepper and cook with the lid on for 5 minutes or until they are soft.
- Add sweet potatoes, diced tomatoes, garlic, spices, broth, and salt and pepper. Stir well. Cover and reduce heat to low or a slight simmer. Keep the lid on.
- Cook for 45 minutes or until sweet potatoes are tender enough to stick a fork through.
- Serve and enjoy!
You can substitute ground beef for ground turkey, chicken, or whatever protein you would like!
You can always omit the red pepper flakes if you don’t like spicy
If you’re not on the Whole 30, add a can of black beans for extra protein. Add it at the very end though when the chili is done so beans don’t get mushy.
You can swap out vegetable broth for chicken or beef broth
The smaller you cut the sweet potatoes, the faster the chili will be ready. If the chunks are large, they will take longer to cook.
Omit meat completely if you want to make it vegetarian
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 45 min
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: chili, sweet potato chili, whole 30 chili, dairy-free chili,
This was super yummy and easy to make!! I added chipotle to the chili and it gave it a Smokey flavor!
Yes! What a great idea 🙂 So glad you enjoyed it.